Saturday, August 25, 2007

The Mask


Ever laughed while crying? Ever lived while dying? Ever been lonely while others around? Ever felt the slowness of the time passing rapidly?
Is the surface shielding the depth or is it hiding it? When I look in the mirror, I don’t see myself, is it my real self or The Mask covering it? My self is always hiding behind its outer mask. I can’t see it… and I can’t remove The Mask. I want to reach deep inside… I want to talk to it… to understand. I am someone else, someone I don’t know, someone I don’t like … I miss myself, the self I can’t find… the self I need. I hate the face you see… I hate The Mask you talk to… I want you to talk to me, the real me. Can you hear me… or The Mask is also hiding my voice, my real voice. I want to tear The Mask… I want to be my real self.

Mena Mostafa

3 comments:

Fady Sedrak said...

Everybody is wearing masks these days, but at least you know that. You want to remove it, actually you can't ... you can't live in a world of masks without your mask.

Nothing is so difficult as not deceiving yourself, but you can find the true you by looking inside ... your planet inside ... your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart.

There is a quote that says "People are like stained-glass windows.They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." So wait for the dark may be that is when you see yourself without a mask.

Ahmed Kamal said...

The mask is part of you. If you remove it you lose some of you, and you would find another mask beneath.

When people hear you, and when they see you, the mask is you to them.

You are the mask.

“If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one?” - Abraham Lincoln

NB. Nice portrait for Jessie ..

Ayat Elshami said...

You know... this seeking-myself-and-not-finding-it issue seems to be universal to me. Maybe we mistranslate the change in character that takes place during our inevitable growth, and in many cases our personal and career progress, as a loss of the self. I too am not totally satisfied with my current self in many aspects... spiritually and socially... friends and family have almost been replaced with colleagues... and the feelings we had and the way we valued our affinity with our folks has definitely faltered with the less frequent meetings... and now life seems so empty, though it is so full and crowded, so boring, though it is so fast that you can hardly catch your breath...
But once you start talking about it, you find everyone seconding your complaint! That's why it may be called growing older.. not wearing a mask.

Trapped!

I feel trapped and lonely. Lonely inside myself, like it’s never ending. I know that nothing is forever lasting, this gives hope to my mind...